Team Builders: Gary Walton
Melissa Stewart - October 23, 2018
Known around the office for his infectious sense of humor, love for Dr. Pepper, and sweet addiction to Reese’s Cups, Gary Walton’s fun-loving spirit always inspires. This firm vet has been around since the days of Edgar Batson and leads his project team with a passion and caring spirit that is contagious. Gary’s love of drawings and delight for people have led him to be a talented architect with great wisdom and a joke to share.
1. What are the top 3 most used apps on your phone?
YouVersion Bible, Google Traffic, and ABC 33/40 Weather
2. What is a skill (not necessarily industry related) you'd like to learn and why?
Since I was old enough to walk, I have been a lover of music. I’ve played the guitar and piano for many years, but would love to learn to play the violin, drums, or saxophone. I would also like to learn a second language and master sign language.
3. If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be?
The Creation – what an event to see! I have the Hollywood version of how things unfolded in my head. From the trees and plants to the stars and animals — it would be one great event.
4. Why did you choose this profession?
I have had an interest in drawing since I was nine. My neighbor was a contractor and started showing me construction drawings. Starting by sketching rooms in my house, I fell in love with the overall process of creating a building. That love, mixed with my passion for people, led me to a life-long career in architecture.
5. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
Anywhere that has a beach! Whether it be Jamaica or the Florida Panhandle, I love having my toes in the sand.
6. What do you love most about TURNERBATSON?
The people. I really feel like it’s truly what matters the most.
7. What does family mean to you?
Family is everything to me. My wife and I have two daughters and three granddaughters. Whether I am playing the butler at my granddaughters’ Valentine’s dinner, or we are taking our annual trip to the beach, there is always so much love and laughter. We are so blessed to be so close!
8. What magazines and books have you read recently?
I read the Bible every day, but other than that, it’s going to be whatever is on the table at the doctor’s office.
9. What is your favorite building?
Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright.
10. Tell us something unique about yourself.
My wife introduced me to TURNERBATSON Patriarch Rick Batson probably 40 years ago when only two people worked for the firm. I started moonlighting for Rick in the beginning after my day job, which after a stint with a multi-disciplinary firm, eventually led to a full-time position at TURNERBATSON. Over the years, I’ve watched the firm grow into one of the best firms around.
11. Tell us one piece of advice that you have learned over the years that can’t be forgotten.
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” – this not only can be applied in architecture, but also in everyday life.